summer 2010

summer 2010
Ready to head off Santa Cruz

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

June 9 The now infamous Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake







First, I have to be honest.... it was all my idea. I remember vacationing with my family and floating in the Great Salt Lake. It was awesome. You felt you couldn't sink (I'm sure they'd find a way in some mafia movie, but the buoyancy was incredible). Thus I convinced my family that it would be the stop of a lifetime.... to camp on an island in the Great Salt Lake (about 7 miles from shore). Perhaps I should have done some research or at least paid attention to the signs that warned of insects, however, as we drove our car down the causeway we had no idea as to the "bug hell" we were entering. I have never been attacked as we were during our less than 12 hour stay on the island. There were other humans there (we think), but we never saw them come out of their RV's (we did see two tents). We tried to bike (beautiful) to see the land and the pronghorn and jack rabbits, but poor Margie was not protected by eye glasses. There were two different kinds of mosquitoes and some other insect (I'll look it up later) that really are found in Dante's Inner Circle. The girls and I tried to make it out to deep water to float, but it was not worth the pain (and you really had to yell to be heard over the buzzing. We also tried to go for a drive (safety in the van), but it sounded like a hail storm with the bugs hitting our windshield. We were up and off the island by 7am (and hadn't arrived until after 7pm). Perhaps there is a time when the island is hospitable... please let us know when it it is... but for now, it is NOT on our list of places to visit (the car ride to Lake Tahoe from Salt Lake was more enjoyable)!

No comments:

Post a Comment